Academic Standing and Class Standing
Undergraduate class standing is determined by the total number of credits a student has earned, including UO coursework as well as any transfer work that has been processed. Class standing is used to determine eligibility for some classes, registration start times, financial aid awards, etc.
- Freshmen: 0.00 - 44.99 credits
- Sophomores: 45.00 - 89.99 credits
- Juniors: 90.00 - 134.99 credits
- Seniors: 135.00 credits or more
See also: University of Oregon Grading System
Academic Standing and End of Term Review
At the end of each term's grade processing, a term and cumulative UO GPA is calculated for each undergraduate student and for CEP students who have not earned a bachelor's degree. Academic standing is based on the term and cumulative UO GPA. Academic standing is defined as one of the following conditions:
When the student's term GPA is 2.00 or higher and the cumulative UO GPA is 2.00 or higher, the student is in good academic standing. Good Standing is not recorded on the academic transcript.
Students receive an academic warning when the UO term GPA is lower than 2.00, even if the UO cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher. This notation is not recorded on the student’s academic transcript.
Academic probation is earned and the notation “Academic Probation” is recorded on the student’s academic transcript whenever the following conditions exist:
- When the UO cumulative GPA is lower than 2.00. Students who have earned 44 or fewer credits are allowed two terms of probation before they are subject to disqualification. Students with more than 44 credits are only allowed one term of probation before they are subject to disqualification. Students on academic probation whose UO cumulative GPA is lower than 2.00 and whose UO term GPA is 2.00 or higher remain on academic probation
- When the student’s three most recent UO term GPAs are lower than 2.00, even if the UO cumulative GPA is above a 2.00.
Students on academic probation are limited to a study load of no more than 15 credits.
Academic disqualification is earned and the notation “Disqualification” is recorded on the student’s academic transcript whenever the following conditions exist:
- Students on academic probation for having a UO cumulative GPA lower than 2.00 who earn a UO term GPA lower than 2.00 in their next term.
- Students on academic probation for having their three most recent terms of UO term GPAs lower than 2.00 and who earn less than a 2.00 term GPA for the fourth consecutive term.
These students are not eligible to enroll for future terms unless the Scholastic Review Committee continues the student on probationary status for a further term or reinstates the student.
End of Term Review
The Scholastic Review Committee reviews the academic records of those students with the academic standing of "Disqualification" to determine whether the student is eligible to continue attending the University. The Office of Academic Advising sends a letter to those students who are disqualified and to those continued on probation to inform them of the committee's action. For information about removal from academic probation and academic reinstatement options, inquire at the Office of Academic Advising, 364 Oregon Hall, telephone (541) 346-3211 (view on Interactive Map).