Alternative Ways to Earn Credit

The University of Oregon has established programs through which students may earn credit toward graduation and, at the same time, decrease the cost and time required for standard undergraduate study.

Advanced Placement

After completing an Advanced Placement course, high school students have the option of paying a fee to take the appropriate examination. Test scores determine the type and number of credits the UO can award. Follow this link for ordering instructions.

View a chart of University of Oregon courses awarded for AP exams:

International Baccalaureate

The University of Oregon evaluates International Baccalaureate scores in much the same way it evaluates AP scores. Students must indicate that they want their official IB scores sent to the UO.

View a chart of University of Oregon courses awarded for IB exams.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a nationwide testing program which makes it possible for students to earn college credit by taking exams.

  • Subject Examinations are open to all students. The academic departments that have authorized the use of these examinations also determine the scores necessary to receive college credit.
  • CLEP Credits count toward graduation but do not count as residence credits at the UO.
  • The University of Oregon does not award credit to the General Examinations.

For more information about CLEP exams, visit College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Descriptions of the tests are available at the UO Counseling and Testing Office located in the University Health and Counseling Center, 1590 E. 13th (map). CLEP tests are given by appointment throughout the year. Follow this link for ordering instructions.

Subject Examinations Passing Score Credits UO Course Equivalent Satisfies Group Requirements
American Literature 55 4 English (one course) A&L
Calculus 50 4 MATH 251 SC, BS MATH
Chemistry 4 50 12 CH 221, 222, 223 SC
College-level French Language 5 54
FR 201
FR 201, 202
FR 201, 202, 203
A&L, BA Lang
College-level German Language 5 60 12 GER 201, 202, 203 A&L, BA Lang
College-level Spanish Language 5 55
SPAN 201
SPAN 201, 202
SPAN 201, 202, 203
A&L, BA Lang
English Literature 55 4 English (one course) A&L
Introductory Sociology 74 4 SOC 204 SS
Principles of Microeconomics 60 4 EC 201 SS
Principles of Macroeconomics 60 4 EC 202 SS

Notes for CLEP:

4 Students should complete CH 227, 228, 229 (labs) prior to organic chemistry or should complete honors chemistry 224, 225, 226 with labs 237, 238, 239 prior to organic chemistry.
5 Native speakers must confirm with the Office of the Registrar that they are eligible to earn credit in their own native language. In general, native speakers may not earn credit in first-second- or third-year courses.

Military Credit Evaluation

The University of Oregon generally grants credit for Military Educational Experiences as recommended by the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, and in accordance with University and State System policies regarding Transfer credits.

General Guidelines

Basic Training No credit allowed.
M O S No credit allowed.
Community College of the Air Force Nationally accredited two-year college limit of 124 credits. Baccalaureate credit limit of 12 credits vocational credit.
Dantes No credit allowed.
Defense Language Institute Baccalaureate credit allowed, may satisfy University of Oregon Language Requirement for a B.A. degree.
Military Education Baccalaureate credit allowed; no limit on credits; vocational credit allowed but limited to 12 credits.

To receive transfer credits, students must submit official copies of test scores and college transcripts, or a Certificate of Completion from the Defense Language Institute. Students should submit either an AARTS transcript (Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript) or SMART transcript (Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript). Note that in order to view this site, you will need to accept the https security certificate.

Credit by Examination

Credit by examination allows formally admitted undergraduate students to challenge undergraduate university courses without registering for the courses. Students seeking to receive credit by examination must be registered for the term in which the exam is given. Credit by examination may be earned only in courses whose content is identified by title in the University of Oregon catalog. Students should contact first the Office of the Registrar to complete an Academic Requirements Committee petition to determine eligibility for credit by examination. Students then obtain faculty and department approvals before the exam can be scheduled. Students are billed an examination fee of $25 per credit hour..

Successful credit by examination is shown as transfer credit on the UO transcript and may be recorded as a pass (P) or graded (A, B, C, D) consistent with the options listed in the class schedule. Credit by examination may not be counted toward the satisfaction of the graduation residency requirement or for fulfillment of the requirement to complete 45 credits graded A, B, C, D at the University of Oregon. However, credit by examination may be counted toward the requirement to complete 168 credits graded A, B, C, D, P* from all institutions attended.

The following are not available for credit by examination:

  • Courses numbered 0-99; Field Studies (196), Workshop, Laboratory Projects, or Colloquium (198), Special Studies (199); courses numbered 200, or 399-410)
  • “Activity” courses (i.e., courses in which credit is earned through participation in an activity such as PE, Dance, Military Science, or other activity courses).
  • First-year second languages
  • 100-level mathematics courses and MATH 211, 212, 213
  • English composition courses (WR 121, 122, 123)
  • An elementary language course taught in the student’s native language
  • A course for which a CLEP exam is available
  • A course which substantially duplicates credit already earned
  • A course which is more elementary in nature than credit already earned
  • A course in which the student is already enrolled for credit
  • A course for which the student has received a grade of A, B, C, D, P, P*, I, X, or Y
  • A course for which the student has already taken and failed an examination for credit

Credit by Exam credit transferred from regionally accredited institutions on official transcripts will be articulated and processed as transfer credit. All other limitations and exceptions in effect as documented in the current University Catalog will continue to apply to the transfer and usability of this CBE credit.

Contact The Office of the Registrar for more information.