Transfer Articulation

Transferring to the University of Oregon? Use the Transfer Course Equivalencies Lookup to determine how courses from other schools will transfer to the University of Oregon.

Transfer Articulation Resources

Resource Description
Transfer Course Equivalencies Lookup Determine how courses from other schools will transfer to the University of Oregon.
Individual Course Lookup Determine how individual courses will transfer to the University of Oregon.
Transfer Student Admission University of Oregon Office of Admissions guide to transferring to the UO.
Academic Jumpstart - Office of Academic Advising This online tutorial gives basic information to help students get started with identifying questions to ask at advising orientation. Completion will help identify required general education coursework while attending the UO.
Reverse College Transfer The University of Oregon is partnering with Lane Community College, Portland Community College, Linn-Benton Community College and Mt. Hood Community College to provide UO students who are currently admitted as undergraduates the opportunity to transfer their UO credit back to one of these community colleges and possibly be awarded an associate's degree from the community college. (Read more.)

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the basic rules regarding transferring credits to UO?

The University of Oregon accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Credits earned at junior colleges and community colleges are always transferred at the lower division level. Credits earned at a four-year institution are transferred at both the lower and upper division credit, depending on what level the original course was taught.

Students may transfer in an unlimited number of credits to clear degree requirements, but only 124 credits from junior or community colleges will be counted toward the total number of credits required for the degree (of this only 90 credits may be transferred from an international junior college). Remember that students must earn a minimum number of upper division credits (62) in order to graduate. Therefore, students who transfer the full 124 credits from a community college will ultimately graduate with more than the required minimum 180 credits for the BA or BS degrees.

Where should I mail my transcript?

Applicants for admission to the University of Oregon should mail their transcript to:

Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217

Currently enrolled University of Oregon students should mail their transcripts to:

Office of the Registrar
5257 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5257

When will my transfer work be evaluated?

If you are applying for undergraduate or postbaccalaureate undergraduate admission to the University of Oregon, as soon as your application and application fee have been received, any official transcripts that you have sent to the University of Oregon will be evaluated. A degree audit showing how those courses will apply to your major requirements will also be created. As you complete additional work at your transfer institutions, be sure to send updated official transcripts, so that all your courses can be evaluated and your degree audit can be updated.

If you are currently enrolled as a UO student, your transfer work will be evaluated as soon as the Registrar’s Office receives an official transcript of your work. Be sure to request that transcripts be sent as soon as you finish a course so that the Registrar’s Office can evaluate the work and produce a new degree audit for you before it is time for you to register for the next term (additional credits may improve your registration priority time, help you determine what classes you need to take to earn your degree, and clear course prerequisites).

How can I view my evaluation?

Once your transfer work is evaluated, the Registrar’s Office will send you an email to let you know. You may then log onto DuckWeb (select either the "Admission" menu or the "Student" menu, then "View Transfer Evaluation Report"). You may then view and/or print your transfer evaluation. Select the "View Degree Audit" menu to view and/or print your degree audit.

For admission applicants, email notification will be sent to the applicant email address; for current UO students, e-mail notification will be sent to the e-mail address.

No printed documents will be mailed to you. You may screen print a copy directly from DuckWeb if you want a printed copy.

How can I find out how a course will transfer?

Use the Transfer Course Equivalency lookup. You can choose to view all courses that have been evaluated from another institution or you can look up individual courses from another institution.

A school I am attending is not listed on your transfer evaluation web page. What can I do?

Contact the Office of the Registrar (registrar [at] uoregon [dot] edu or (541) 346-2935) to find out if UO has information on file that can be posted on the web.

A course I am looking for is not listed on your transfer evaluation web page. What should I do?

Requests for evaluating credits can be made to the Office of the Registrar, registrar [at] uoregon [dot] edu or (541) 346-2935.

I have seen my transfer evaluation and I disagree with the evaluation of a class. What can I do?

First check with the Office of the Registrar. If the course cannot be re-evaluated in the Registrar’s Office (usually because it is a course for your major), you may be directed to take a course description and/or syllabus for the course to an instructor in the appropriate department on campus. That instructor may re-evaluate the course and will contact the Office of the Registrar if appropriate, to request that the information be updated.

Can I take classes somewhere else over the Summer, and how do I make sure they will transfer back?

First check the Transfer Credit Equivalencies lookup for transfer equivalency information. If the school is not listed at all, or the specific courses you are looking for are not listed, contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.

I am going to be studying abroad through a University of Oregon program. How will my credits transfer?

The Office of International Affairs can give you all the details about how your work will transfer back from a UO study abroad program before you leave for the program.

I'm going on a Study Abroad program that is not a University of Oregon program. I need pre-approval and/or need to know if my classes will transfer. What do I do?

Check with the Office of the Registrar to find out if there is any information already on file about the institution you plan to attend. If you plan to enroll in courses at an institution for which we do not have information on file, the Registrar’s Office will first need to confirm that transfer credit is acceptable from that institution. If so, you will then need to work with specific departments to get approval before leaving for your program. Registrar’s staff can explain the process to you.

The class I'm taking is three credits and the same course at the University of Oregon is four credits. Will it still count?

Courses taken for three credits at another term-based U.S. institution will transfer as three credits to the University of Oregon (U.S. semester school conversion: 3 semester credits = 4.5 UO credits).

Some UO degree requirements are based on completing a certain number of courses (e.g., writing, math). Transfer courses of three credits will count to clear those course requirements. Some UO degree requirements are based on a minimum number of credits (e.g., 15 credits of Arts and Letters). Your three-credit transfer course will count toward that 15 credit requirement, leaving you with 12 more credits to complete.

I sent my transcript to the University of Oregon a long time ago! Where is it?

For most institutions, it can take up to four weeks for your transcript order to be processed, mailed and received by the University of Oregon. If you ordered your transcript more than four weeks ago, contact the Office of the Registrar and we will search for your transcript. If we are unable to locate the documents, we will ask that you contact the sending institution to verify that the transcript was sent (and not held up there for some reason).

I'm an undergraduate student transferring the last class I need to graduate. Where do I send the transcript?

Send your official transcript to:

Office of the Registrar
Attn: Graduation Specialist
5257 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5257

We ask that you submit transcripts in a timely fashion. Having your work here by the end of the term of graduation will ensure that the Registrar’s staff and your department will be able to evaluate your record for graduation. The absolute deadline for which the University of Oregon will accept transfer work is 30 days following graduation. If you do not submit your transfer work by that deadline, you will need to re-apply to graduate for the following term. (And don’t forget to apply for graduation on DuckWeb!)

Will the grades I transfer to the University of Oregon count in my UO GPA?

Grades for the courses you transfer to the University of Oregon will be collected and used to determine your transfer GPA for the purpose of admission. However, your University of Oregon GPA will not include grades from other institutions.

I can't register for next term because I have an admission’s transcript hold. How do I get this released?

The Office of Admissions informs you if you have outstanding transcripts. Order an official transcript from your transferring institution as soon as possible and have it sent to the Office of Admissions, 1217 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403. After your official transcript is received and reviewed, your hold will be released and you will be able to register for classes. Our experience is that it may take as long as four weeks for your transcript order to be processed by the sending institution and mailed to UO. Please allow sufficient time so that you can register for classes during your registration priority time!

If I take a class P/NP will it still count?

Yes. Courses taken Pass/No Pass or Satisfactory/Fail at another institution will transfer and will count in fulfilling general education requirements (and in some cases, major requirements). Please remember that there are University of Oregon requirements for the number of graded credits needed to graduate.

Does the University of Oregon award advanced credit for experiential learning?

No, UO does not award credit for experiential learning. Students may want to investigate the Credit By Exam option at UO as an alternate way to earn credit by challenging courses in the curriculum. See Credit By Exam.

Who do I contact for help?

All questions about transferring courses to the University of Oregon (for both applicants and current UO students) should be directed to the Office of the Registrar:

Email: registrar [at] uoregon [dot] edu
Phone: (541) 346-2935
Mail: 5257 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403
In person: Second Floor, Oregon Hall (map). (Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, Pacific time. No phone service during the noon hour.)