Grading Option Changes (2020)
As of Winter 2021, we will return to the standard deadline for changing grade option as well as the standard limitations for Pass/No Pass grading on courses and degree requirements.
These have been unprecedented times for many UO students and faculty. Because of the issues involving COVID-19 (coronavirus), coupled with the social and economic instability students might have experienced, we created a temporary grading policy that offers a simple and consistent approach during the terms listed below. We hope this alleviates any anxiety you might be feeling about grades and encourages you to focus on learning.
Students are encouraged to seek advising support for questions about these changes and for help making decisions, https://advising.uoregon.edu/.
- Processing Time: Grade Option Change Forms submitted by Dec 29, 2020, 11:59 pm PST will be processed by Jan 11, 2021. Forms received between December 30, 2020 and January 16, 2021 will be processed within 10 business days.
- Academic Standing: Academic Standing will be initially run December 16, 2020. Grade option changes received by December 29, 2020, 11:59 pm PST that result in students moving to Good Standing from Probation will have their Academic Standing adjusted on a weekly basis.
- Dean's List: The standards and criteria for Dean's List still apply: students must complete at least 15 credits, 12 of which must be graded. Please review the criteria for Dean's List in the catalog for more information. Dean's list will be run at the end of the term, but then will be re-run January 19, 2021 and grade changes recorded prior to this date can affect the Dean's List notation (removal or addition).
Grading Option Rules
All of the rules about grading option changes are still in effect; review the rules below. If you have questions, speak to an advisor about your options before making a final decision.
- The course will need to permit the P/NP grade mode. Graded-only courses cannot be changed to P/NP.
- D-range grades (D+, D, D-) earn credit towards a UO degree and impact your UO GPA. If you decide to change a D-range grade to the “No Pass” option, you will not earn credit towards your degree; however, a “No Pass” has no impact on your GPA. Not earning course credit (No Pass) or earning credit with a lower grade (D or D-) could have Financial Aid implications. Students should speak to an advisor or Financial Aid Counselor.
- D-range grades can fulfill some of your Core Education requirements (Multicultural/Cultural Literacy, Groups/Areas of Inquiry). If you change a D+, D or D- to a “No Pass” for one of these courses, you will not earn credit for the course and these Core Education requirements will not be fulfilled.
- Students must still earn 168 transfer or University of Oregon credits with grades of A, B, C, D, or P*. If you elect to change your grading option to “Pass or No Pass,” those credits will not go toward this requirement.
- If a major or minor requires a course to be graded, students might want to maintain a graded option. Courses changed to Pass/No Pass may not meet major requirements unless approved by the major department.
Differences between D-range grades (D +/-) and No Pass:
|D+, D, D-||No Pass|
|Core Ed Requirement|||
|Areas of Inquiry / Groups||Yes|
|168 graded credits||Yes|
|Required to be graded for the Major||Maybe||*only with department approval|
|Required to be graded for the Minor||Maybe||*only with department approval|
|Financial Aid Implication||Maybe||Maybe|
Spring 2020, Summer 2020, and Fall 2020 Terms
Here are the temporary grading options for spring 2020, summer 2020, and fall term 2020 courses. These adjustments are in effect for undergraduate and graduate courses except for graduate courses offered in the JD and LLM programs in the Law School, which are under a different policy passed by the Law School.
- The deadline to change grade-optional courses from graded to P/NP (pass/no-pass) or from P/NP to grade will be extended 30 days after the date that final grades are posted for that term. Deadlines for students graduating in a term is earlier—see table below. That means all students will have time to decide whether to change to P/NP or graded once they see their final grades.
Deadlines to change grade-optional courses from graded to pass/no-pass Term Extended Deadline Deadline for Graduating Students Spring July 16, 2020 Summer October 16, 2020 September 21, 2020 Fall January 16, 2021 December 21, 2020
- The option to change from graded to P/NP or from P/NP to graded will be available for all courses that are designated as graded only and for grade optional courses.
- Courses that are designated as P/NP only will remain as they are. There will be no additional options for these courses.
- Any course grade of P will be counted as a P* grade for the purposes of the policies below. This means that courses taken as P/NP can count toward graduation requirements. Credits earned in courses offered only as P/NP will use the P* designation.
- Undergraduate: “Students must earn 168 transfer or University of Oregon credits with grades of A, B, C, D, or P*.”
- Undergraduate: "A minimum of 45 credits graded A, B, C, or D must be earned at the University of Oregon. Courses required in the major and designated in the class schedule as pass/no pass (P/N) only may be counted toward the 45-credit requirement only if the 168-credit requirement has been satisfied."
- Graduate Master’s degrees: “A minimum of 24 credits must be University of Oregon graded (not pass/no pass) credits.”
- Instructors of record shall maintain letter grades throughout the term and record final course grades for students in all courses (and only assign P/NP grades for courses that are designated as P/NP only). Note: This change is permanent and will continue past Fall 2020.
- If a student chooses P/N by the deadline, grades will be recorded as follows:
- Undergraduate: a P grade for a C- or above, and an N grade for a D+ or below.
- Graduate: a P grade for a B- or above, and an N grade for a C+ or below.
- Law: a P grade for a D- or above, and an N grade for an F.
- Departments are asked to waive any requirements that (a) limit how P/N courses count toward the major; that (b) require specific grades for courses that count toward the major; or that (c) serve as prerequisites for other courses. This is especially important for cases where the lack of such a waiver will require students to enroll in an additional term or delay graduation for students.
Dates and Deadlines
- December 2, 2020
- Last day to change a grade option in Duckweb.
- If possible, you’re encouraged to make any grade options changes in Duckweb before this date.
- Find directions to do this at https://registrar.uoregon.edu/current-students/grading-system under “Pass/No Pass”.
- December 16, 2020
- Grades available on Duckweb.
- December 17, 2020
- Grade option form becomes available at https://registrar.uoregon.edu/.
- December 21, 2020, 11:59 pm PST
- Deadline for students graduating in Fall to submit grade option form .
- December 29, 2020, 11:59 pm PST
- Deadline to submit grade option change form to have the changes included in academic standing adjustments (Probation to Good Standing only).
- Some exceptions apply for students under the First-Term Forgiveness Policy, see catalog for more information.
- January 16, 2021, 11:59 pm PST
- Deadline for students not graduating in Fall to submit grade option form.
- January 19, 2021
- Dean's List finalized (the initial Dean’s List will be run prior to this date, grade changes recorded prior to this date can affect the Dean's List notation (removal or addition).
Winter 2020 Term Grading Option Deadline
The extended deadline to change from Graded to Pass/No Pass for Winter 2020 expired April 24, 2020. To request an SRC petition to change grade mode for a Winter 2020 course, contact the Office of Academic Advising, https://advising.uoregon.edu.