The University of Oregon has established programs through which students may earn credit toward graduation and, at the same time, decrease the cost and time required for standard undergraduate study.

Advanced Placement

After completing an Advanced Placement course, high school students have the option of paying a fee to take the appropriate examination. Test scores determine the type and number of credits the UO can award.

View a chart of University of Oregon courses awarded for AP exams:

AP Exam Chart

Requesting Official AP Score Reports

When requesting score reports, include your name, birth date, social security number, year/date tested, registration or test number, and college or school code.

Advanced Placement Exam
PO Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671
(609) 771-7300
UO School Code: 4846

A-Level Exam

The University of Oregon accepts Advanced-Level Exams with grades of A, B, C or D. All scores must be sent to the Office of the Registrar from the official testing agency to be considered for credit.

A-Level Exam Chart

International Baccalaureate

The University of Oregon evaluates International Baccalaureate scores in much the same way it evaluates AP scores. Students must indicate that they want their official IB scores sent to the UO.

View a chart of University of Oregon courses awarded for IB exams:

IB Exam Chart

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a nationwide testing program which makes it possible for students to earn college credit by taking exams.

Subject Examinations are open to all students. The academic departments that have authorized the use of these examinations also determine the scores necessary to receive college credit. CLEP credits count toward graduation but do not count as residence credits at the UO. The University of Oregon does not award credit to the General Examinations.

View a chart of University of Oregon courses awarded for CLEP exams:

CLEP Exam Chart

Military Credit Evaluation

The University of Oregon generally grants credit for Military Educational Experiences as recommended by the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, and in accordance with University and State System policies regarding Transfer credits.

General Guidelines

Basic Training No credit allowed.
M O S No credit allowed.
Community College of the Air Force Nationally accredited two-year college limit of 124 credits. Baccalaureate credit limit of 12 credits vocational credit.
Dantes No credit allowed.
Defense Language Institute Baccalaureate credit allowed, may satisfy University of Oregon Language Requirement for a B.A. degree.
Military Education Baccalaureate credit allowed; no limit on credits; vocational credit allowed but limited to 12 credits.

To receive transfer credits, students must submit official copies of test scores and college transcripts, or a Certificate of Completion from the Defense Language Institute. Students should submit either an AARTS transcript (Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript) or SMART transcript (Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript). Note that in order to view this site, you will need to accept the https security certificate.

Credit by Examination

Credit by examination allows formally admitted undergraduate students to challenge undergraduate university courses by successful completion of the exam.  Course registration is not needed. 


  • Students seeking to receive credit by examination must be registered for the term in which the exam is given.
  • Credit by examination may be earned only in courses whose content is identified by title in the University of Oregon catalog.
  • Students should first contact their department or advisor to determine the eligibility for credit by examination.  Please refer to the list below for courses not available for credit by examination.
  • Students must obtain faculty and department approvals before the exam can be scheduled.
  • The approval of the Department Head or Dean of School is required.  Please use Credit by Examination: Department Approval web form.
  • The instructor administering the examination will use the Credit by Examination: Results web form to provide course information and examination results to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students are billed an examination fee of $25 per credit hour.

Successful credit by examination is shown as transfer credit on the UO student record and may be recorded as a pass (P) or graded (A, B, C, D) consistent with the options listed in the class schedule. Credit by examination may not be counted toward the satisfaction of the graduation residency requirement or for fulfillment of the requirement to complete 45 credits graded A, B, C, D at the University of Oregon. However, credit by examination may be counted toward the requirement to complete 168 credits graded A, B, C, D, P* from all institutions attended.

The following are not available for credit by examination:

  • Courses numbered 0-99; Field Studies (196), Workshop, Laboratory Projects, or Colloquium (198), Special Studies (199); courses numbered 200, or 399-410)
  • “Activity” courses (i.e., courses in which credit is earned through participation in an activity such as PE, Dance, Military Science, or other activity courses).
  • First-year second languages
  • 100-level mathematics courses and MATH 211, 212, 213
  • English composition courses (WR 121, 122, 123)
  • An elementary language course taught in the student’s native language
  • A course for which a CLEP exam is available
  • A course which substantially duplicates credit already earned
  • A course which is more elementary in nature than credit already earned
  • A course in which the student is already enrolled for credit
  • A course for which the student has received a grade of A, B, C, D, P, P*, I, X, or Y
  • A course for which the student has already taken and failed an examination for credit

Please contact the Office of the Registrar at if you have additional questions.

See also

More Information

Contact The Office of the Registrar for more information.