Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018
The following policy (38 U.S.C., section 3679) applies to any covered individual, who is any individual entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Veteran Readiness and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits:
- Any covered individual is permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the University of Oregon a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- The date that is 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
- The University of Oregon will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.
- The University of Oregon requires the covered individual to take the following additional actions.
- Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
- Submit a written request to use such entitlement.
- Provide additional information, if requested, necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution.
- Make a payment for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement and understand that late fees may apply to these charges.