If you wish to declare a new major or minor you must first contact the appropriate academic department in which the major or minor is offered.

For example: If you wish to pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in Italian, then you would contact the Department of Romance Languages. Each academic department has a physical location on campus that can be visited in person, or reached via telephone or email.

You can search for contact information by department in the UO Directory.

Department advisors will discuss major or minor requirements including an explanation of any prerequisite courses needed to be satisfied, courses accepted for major approval and all other major or minor requirements needed for completion. If approved by the department, a major change request will be sent to the Office of the Registrar and an academic advisor assigned to you. Your academic advisor will guide you in completing the major or minor requirements and your general education requirements required for the degree you are pursuing, and the Registrar’s Office will update your student record with the new major or minor. You can identify your advisor by viewing your degree audit in DuckWeb.

What is DuckWeb?

If your request has been received by the Office of the Registrar by the add deadline (last day to add classes via DuckWeb) for fall, winter, and spring terms, your major or minor will be added for the current term. If the request is received after the add deadline, your major or minor will be effective starting the following term. If your request is received by the Office of the Registrar by the end of the fifth week of summer term, it will be effective for summer term; otherwise, requests received after the fifth week of summer will be effective fall term.

How to Drop a Major or Minor

If you would like to drop a major or minor, you may do so at the same time you visit with a department to declare or add a new major or minor. You may request that the department also record your intention to drop a major or minor from your record.