Banner Access & Query Training
Banner is a system used by the University of Oregon for a variety of purposes. Basic information about how to use Banner is available in the UO Service Portal. Banner Student is the portion of Banner used to record, classify, and retrieve student and course data.
You must obtain authorization from your department head and the University Registrar to access Banner Student data. A FERPA training is required for all student data access.
To obtain access as a new user, please complete the following steps:
- Request a Banner account through the UO Service Portal (not required if user already has an account).
- Complete and pass the online FERPA training course.
- Download the Banner Student System Access Request Form, complete it, and have the dean or department head send it to the Registrar's Office.
- When your request form is received by the Registrar’s Office, you will be contacted with any further instructions or requirements.
- The Banner Student System Access Request Form must be signed by the user and their department head or someone to whom the department head reports, such as a dean. Users may not sign as their own department head.
- Handwritten signatures are required; electronic signatures such as “click to sign” solutions are accepted only when submitted in this way:
- Form signed by the requestor, forwarded to the dean or department head from uoregon.edu email address
- Dean or department head signs the form, then forwards the email thread and the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org from their uoregon.edu email account
- If you request access for Departmental Control Forms, Departmental Class Schedule Data Entry, Grade Processing, or Major/Minor Approval, and any subject/major/minor codes requested are not overseen by the person signing as department head, someone responsible for overseeing those codes must also sign.
Upgrading or Renewing a User Account
To upgrade or renew your Banner Student access:
Download the Banner Student System Access Request Form, complete it, and send it to the Registrar's Office following step #3, above. You will not need to repeat the FERPA training if you have already completed it.
About the Student Banner Query System
The Banner Query System (BQS) is a software package within Banner Student, designed for University faculty and staff whose information needs require the viewing of student and course data. BQS enables academic advisers and other authorized University personnel to display student demographic information, class schedules, academic histories and other student and course data on their computer.