Banner Access & Query Training
Banner is a system used by the University of Oregon for a variety of purposes. Basic information about how to use Banner is available in the UO Service Portal. Banner Student is the portion of Banner used to record, classify, and retrieve student and course data.
Before you can begin using Banner Student, you must obtain authorization from your department head and the University Registrar. You must complete training on the appropriate use of Banner Student before you can begin to access the data.
In order to obtain access as a new user, please complete the following steps:
- Request a Banner account through the UO Service Portal (not required if user already has an account).
- Complete and pass the online FERPA training course.
- Download the Banner Student System Access Request Form, complete it, and send it to the Registrar's Office.
- When your request form is received by the Registrar’s Office, you will be contacted with any further instructions or requirements.
- The Banner Student System Access Request Form must be signed by the user and their department head or someone to whom the department head reports, such as a dean. Users may not sign as their own department head.
- If you request access for Departmental Control Forms, Departmental Class Schedule Data Entry, Grade Processing, or Major/Minor Approval, and any subject/major/minor codes requested are not overseen by the person signing as department head, someone responsible for overseeing those codes must also sign.
- Handwritten signatures are required; electronic signatures such as “click to sign” solutions are not accepted. If an individual is unable to hand-sign the form, they may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org from their UO email account. The department head may include the user's email in their forwarded email chain, rather than the user emailing directly.
- Please return completed forms to the Registrar’s Office via campus mail, or email it to email@example.com
Upgrading or Renewing a User Account
To upgrade or renew your Banner Student access:
Download the Banner Student System Access Request Form, complete it, and send it to the Registrar's Office. You will have completed the Banner account and FERPA training steps described, and do not need to repeat them.
About the Student Banner Query System
The Banner Query System (BQS) is a software package within Banner Student, designed for University faculty and staff whose information needs require the viewing of student and course data. BQS enables academic advisers and other authorized University personnel to display student demographic information, class schedules, academic histories and other student and course data on their computer.